Well, according to the #awaresg hashtag on Twitter, there’s a storm a-brewin’ in Singapore. From what we can gather (and check out media links below for better summaries), the women’s organization AWARE has been taken over by Christian fundamentalists and a no confidence vote is under way.
AWARE’s website. Their mission statement: “Our mission is to identify areas for improvement in gender equality, encourage positive change, and support women in realising their highest potential.”
Update: The votes have been collected – the majority voted no confidence. 1414 yes (for no confidence vote), 761 against. The Old Guard called for the Exco to resign. The New Guard didn’t respond in time, and so AWARE is voting on new officers.
Oh, not so fast! The New Guard has come back and will make a statement. Josie Lau announces they are “graciously stepping down.”
- Pat Law is live at the meeting. Updates here.
- ctham: Irene Ang has taken the mic: “I have no confidence in the new leadership”
- intewig: Good parallel would be the US southern Baptists taking over Planned Parenthood in the name of “Pro Family, Pro America”
- stuartkoe: Church members leaving in droves. I think they are in shock and completely didn’t expect this backlash.
- euniqueflair: If you are here at the EGM, you could tell that the majority is going for no-confidence.
- euniqueflair: A #awaresg member brought up 20k expenses and asks how much have the new comm spent but new comm shuns & don’t wanna reply.
- helpsaveaware: the lawyer has been escorted off the premises for continuing to ask how much they spent
- kelvl: Cameras and videocams not allowed in Suntec. Wayang Party’s journalist got his videocam confiscated
- helpsaveaware: #awaresg the new exco said they estimated they spend $90,000 for all this. Omg. Crowd is outrage[d]
- dominicsoon: Exco revealed that they spent 90k on EGM when they were legally entitled to spend only 20k. Almost all the money from new members
- madespace: CNA report:ex-new guard might be taken to court for blowing $90K without consulting members. – each individually accountable!
- The Straits Times has a live blog up with good information. The Online Citizen also has a live blog, probably the best source for info.
- Wonderful Daily Kos diary on AWARE.
- Boing Boing write-up on events will answer a lot of questions.
- Pei shares her ballot where she voted no confidence.
- Twitpic from the scene.
- Check out Channel News Asia’s report.
- Stuart Koe’s Twitpic of the queue waiting to ask questions of the Exco.
- Twitpic of the New Guard resigning.